Friday, July 23, 2010

Of becoming a writer

Since my return home from the United States in November 2009, my dad has been relentlessly encouraging me to write.

"You are a science person, so you should become a scientific writer. You can write about your research and send them to an appropriate magazine. They pay approximately RM350 for a two-page article!"

I jumped in delight to his last sentence. As stated by Steven Levitt, the author of 'Freakonomics', human responds to incentives :) And, money sure is the best incentive for a penniless unemployed fresh-grad like me! My dad handed me a Dewan Kosmik, a magazine published by the renowned Dewan Bahasa and Pustake, which specifically publishes science articles. This will be the magazine that you will send your articles in, he said.

But life happens.

Him: Did you ever even have a boyfriend?
Her: Of course.
Him: What happened, why didn’t they work out?
Her: What always happens? Life.
(500 Days of Summer)

It is already July 2010, and I still have not written anything. I have a topic in my mind, but I can't seem to put it down on paper.

Me: Writing is hard. I don't know how to make my article interesting. And I am sure somebody has already written on the same topic that I am going to write.
Dad: If you show me your draft, I can help you make it interesting.

Well, do you think I will become a writer? Do you think my article will be published in Dewan Kosmik one day? What will my topic be?

Will definately update you on that :)

1 comment: